Transferring Ownership Interest


If you need to make an ownership change on an account, please refer to the following for specific documents we will need. Once we have had the opportunity to review the requested documents, we will contact you if additional information is needed; otherwise, division orders will be issued accordingly.

Sale- Provide us with a copy of the deed, assignment or other document of conveyance, showing conveyance of the interest. The document should reflect the recording stamp, showing the document has been recorded in the County in which the property is located. Please provide the lease name, if known. Also provide the name and address of the person(s) acquiring the interest.

Divorce- Although many divorce decrees and settlement agreements provide for a distribution of property between the parties, if there is a change in the ownership of the mineral interest, we will need to be provided with a copy of a deed or assignment as appropriate for the type of interest being transferred. See "Sale" above.

Trusts- To make a transfer to or out of a trust, we will need to be provided with a copy of the recorded deed or assignment as appropriate for the type of interest being transferred, showing the conveyance of the mineral interest to the Trustee(s) or by the Trustee(s) to the new owner(s). See "Sale" above.

Death of Owner- Mineral interests are real property interests and are subject to the laws affecting the transfer of real estate within the state in which the property is located. Circumstances differ in each Estate and the documents needed in the most common circumstances are described below. Please provide us with complete copies of each of the items described, and include a list of the persons or entities, with addresses, to whom it is anticipated distribution will be made.

If there are special circumstances in the Estate not covered here, please provide information concerning these circumstances. Special Circumstances may include the involvement of a Trust or conveyances that have been made which affect the interest being transferred. Please provide copies of any additional documents that are pertinent to this transfer. We will contact you after reviewing these documents, and any additional information that may be needed will be requested at that time.




Quick Links